Starting a siphon.

1. 5 months ago

mirkee

Mar 10 Central Coast, CA, USA

I guess I am really inept! I have 40 tanks which are drilled and I just drain to the outside by rotating a standpipe, for water changes. My problem is that sometimes I want to clean the bottom. I can't seem to figure out a way to start a siphon in order to do this. Many years ago, I used to have a "Tetra Hydroclean" which was a gravel cleaning tube with a rattling marble in the top. You would just shake it up and down a couple of times and a good siphon would start. It worked like a dream! Alas, it is no longer made. I don't want to siphon to a bucket. I want to siphon to a regular garden hose which is about 25' long. Most of my tanks are bare with a little crushed coral at the bottom for buffering and for the fish to mess with. Filling is by way of individual temperature controlled outlets going to each tank so that is not an issue. How do I start a siphon for the hose which I can easily transfer from one tank to another as I do my cleaning and easily start it up again going from tank to tank. The squeeze bulbs I have bought are garbage.

2. Avery

Mar 13 Administrator Arizona, United States

I've seen people who manually start a suction by sucking in the hose until one is made, with others using other types of either powered machines (small water pumps or even loose canister filters to do the job) or units that connect to a kitchen or bathroom sink and are water and suction powered to remove and refill the tanks with.

I'm sure you can find something on such nature online at either Amazon or even in some local fish stores, since they tend to have the best ways to get over the hassle of filling up buckets and carrying them to the bathtub (or down/upstairs).

3. James

Apr 2 Premium Orem, Utah, United States

Would agree with Avery on this one, there are products that use either a sink to suck in water and then replace it or you can use something else made from a DIY stance.

or Sign Up to reply!