How much old filter media to mix with new filter media?

1. 5 months ago

James

Mar 6 Premium Orem, Utah, United States

It always happens regardless of what type of filter you use, pads, and other filtering elements are used. The filter media starts to break down to the point of almost clogging the filter itself, but as we all know you never want to just throw away any media since you'll loose a ton of the biological bacteria that is needed when making the nitrogen cycle. How much of the old filter media do you guys and gals keep inside of the filter unit, and do you put the old media on top of the new in the filter or do a 50/50 media with new and old media?

2. Rouelle

Mar 7 Premium Oklahoma, USA

This is always a concern to me too. For filters that have multiple filter pads (e.g. the Marineland Penguin 350 in my community tank) I will only change one pad at a time and wait a couple weeks before changing the second. When changing, I always rub the new filter pad around on the old one to hopefully seed it at least a bit. Who knows if it actually matters.

I am in the process of moving towards dual filtration in my tanks. I am adding sponge filters to my tanks in addition to the HOBs I currently have.

3. Avery

Mar 13 Administrator Arizona, United States

I normally try to run multiple filter units on the same tank to avoid this (and also the problem when if the filter breaks and you come home to a tank with no moving water, or the filter media being starved due to no new "unclean" water being ran passed it). For those who run only one filter or the filter suits them the best, I would honestly say to try to do a 50/50 with the media if possible so that way you will always have half a filter pad that is trash and the other side that is new-ish for the biological bacteria to move onto.

4. I tend to just rinse out the media in old tank water until it is fully falling apart, then I just put the old media behind the new media so everything gets filtered into the new media. Seems to work everytime, and I leave it like that for about two months before taking all of the old media out and throwing it away.

or Sign Up to reply!