Who/What takes care of the fish on vacation?

1. last year

Avery

30 Jun 2016 Administrator Arizona, United States

Since everyone doesn't normally stay in their house for the whole year around, what do you have happen when you go on vacation with your fish or invertebrates? I've seen people buy those month long feeding machines they will feed out a given amount of food per day to the fish until there is no more food left, have neighbors come over to feed the fish and check on things, and even have seen people buy long-term lasting food blocks in which the fish can eat over the course of a timeframe to keep them well fed.

I personally have some of my neighbors come over to feed the fish and make sure that no one has decided to go after another fish (or end up where they shouldn't). I don't really worry about lights being on or off since I have them on a timer, and I always leave the filters on along with the extra equipment which every tank just about has.

2. Rouelle

30 Jun 2016 Premium Oklahoma, USA

I use a week as my cutoff point. If I'm gone < a week I do nothing and assume everything is going to be okay. If I'm going to be gone > a week I have somebody check in and feed my fish. Depending on where I was living at the time, it was either family or a neighbor. Currently, I live a couple miles from my inlaws, so they are the entrusted ones.

3. I normally have family members take care of my tank if I'll be out longer than expected.

4. v209

6 Jul 2016 Seattle USA

Normally my parents take care of my fish when I'm gone but if we are all gone then we have other family members who live close by take care of them.

5. 7 months ago

I normally have some family members come in and look after them because most of them have fish tanks and do know how to look after them! I wouldn't let friends in because my house has a lot of valuables in and could nick whatever they want. Plus they don't have experience with fish too so that's another negative!

6. 4 months ago

James

Apr 24 Premium Orem, Utah, United States

I normally will have other family members take care of the, or I'll use a fish feeder (one of those automatic ones set to a specific amount to give only a few times per day) in order to keep them in balance. Worst case I've had the automatic feeder work every other day in order to spread the food over a longer time period and then once I got back I would feed them like I normally do (haven't really been gone for more than a week or two at a time max.).

or Sign Up to reply!