Aquarium Confessions

1. 4 months ago

James

Jan 30 Premium Orem, Utah, United States

What are some thing that you've done badly from the time you have started being an aquarium owner? These can include things like not feeding fish enough, running out of dechlorinator and just adding tap water without it, and other things that are like bad habitats or things you never do but are highly recommend to do.

2. Rouelle

Jan 30 Premium Oklahoma, USA

I started with saltwater for several years before moving to freshwater. Cycling saltwater is easy: add live sand, add live rock, add a couple fish, start feeding, wait a bit then load tank.

When setting my first freshwater tank, I didn't realize it was more complicated AND I didn't have a nitrate test kit. I added a couple fish, waited a couple weeks, saw that ammonia and nitrites were 0, then loaded down tank. Maybe 20% of the fish died before I figured out it was just starting its cycle. I cleaned up the mess pretty easily thereafter, but it was still unfortunate.

3. 3 months ago

v209

Feb 17 Seattle USA

I would probably say that I've added fish without a heater only to find out that they need it, felt bad but that fish live for a few years before passing away to unknown causes.

4. 5 weeks ago

I'm not really sure what I had done wrong as a child. However, the fish would always die too soon. Therefore, I assume something must have gone wrong. Note, if fish always died that soon, then customers would complain to Wal-Mart, the local pet store, etc.

Oh, and note the lifespan of a goldfish is 5 to 10 years in a bowl - and 25 years in the wild!

or Sign Up to reply!