Your very first fish

1. 6 months ago

Was it the classic Goldfish your first fish or was it something else?
    Tell us the whole story, how did you get the fish and what happened to it?

I started with a few female guppies, since they are relatively easy to take care of. At least that was my father opinion. So I had a small tank on my desk.
    What we didn't see coming was that one of them was pregnant so before I knew it the tank filled with little guppies and became live food for some of the others. My mother also had replaced some of the water that day. Even so, my mum tried to save the rest by separating them and my dad bought more plants to serve as hiding spots. I don't really recall managing to have those babies grow up nicely but that experience sure got embed in my poor kiddie brain, hahaha.

2. Avery

19 Nov 2016 Administrator Arizona, United States

One of my very first fish included a betta fish, but later was expanded to include some glowlight tetras, a small pleco, and some male platies inside of a 20-30 gallon tank (I can't fully remember the size since I was just a young kid when my parents got me it from a local Petco). I think what annoyed my parents was the care required, as I always recall washing the gravel fully every 2-3 months and then making sure to keep all of the fish feed fully (making sure not just one fish was taking all of the food for example).

3. Rouelle

20 Nov 2016 Premium Oklahoma, USA

As a very little kid my parents got me what must have been 2 x-ray pristella tetras and a glass bowl to put them in. Sadly, their fate was exactly what one might expect.

On my own, my first fish was a betta, also in a simple bowl. My setups have come a long way since then.

4. My first fish is more of a nightmare. I had four Comet Goldfish in a ten gallon aquarium with no filter or light! Knowing what I know now about goldfish, I with I could slap my younger self. The aquarium had about three fake plants, clown barf gravel, and a cartoon-ish printed out background of a coral reef. Surprisingly, they lived about eight years before we moved and had to give them away.

Now the first fish I ever got on my own were three female guppies, also in a ten gallon but with a filter this time. They stayed in there for about two weeks before I was able to afford my 36 gallon bowfront. Two years later and what I affectionately refer to as "The Swarm" is doing swimmingly!

5. When I was a kid back then, it was the normal story. I got a couple of goldfish and fell in love with them. I usually spent some days in front of the fish tank wondering what the fishes would do and what they would all get up too. I loved it. Then after that, I got some more fish and I had my ever first fish tank.

6. 5 weeks ago

I had some goldfish when I was a child and I was all excited. However, the fish died too soon - as is the case with many other people who get into the fish hobby. Nonetheless, there may have been ways to keep them alive or alternative fish that would have lasted longer. However, we didn't have enough experience in the matter.

or Sign Up to reply!