rain water as water to fill up with

1. 7 months ago

v209

30 Oct 2016 Seattle USA

have any of you guys and girls thought about using rain water to fill up the tanks with? i know that some areas might not get any water at all, but if you live in a state or place with lots of rain why not use something that the rivers, lakes, and oceans get mixed with for your tanks?

2. Avery

31 Oct 2016 Administrator Arizona, United States

I've never really thought about it before since the rain out here tends to be highly acidic and full of pollution. I'd rather use tap water or even RO water and treat it myself than use the water that is coming from above. In good areas without high pollution I could see this as a really good option, but for a vast majority I'd find there to be harmful trace elements that can do harm to your livestock inside of an aquarium. In a pond the amount of rain water would very extremely small when compared to the other way, and thus be diluted when compared to the rest.

3. Rouelle

31 Oct 2016 Premium Oklahoma, USA

Of course there is also the collection issue. If you are taking the runoff from your house you wil have all the contaminants found on your roof or from your shingles. It seems fundamentally risky.

4. 6 months ago

I don't think it's such a good idea to use rain water, to use in an aquarium. Even if you directly, collect the rain water by placing a tub or something on your roof, it still might contain some sort of pollution or some other harmful elements. That's why we don't drink the rain water directly without purifying it first. The same goes to fish too. Even though rain water is a natural resource, only fish raised outside the aquariums like sea or ocean, can withstand it.

The fish raised in aquariums are delicate, according to me anyway.

5. 5 months ago

Regardless of where you live, if you do decide to collect rain water, the best way to go is to get a few filters to help filter the collected water before you mix it in with the water in the aquarium.

6. 3 months ago

I wouldn't try it since a lot of the water from the clouds can probably have some form of chemicals, mostly if you live in highly populated areas. If you do want to try it, try to wait for a storm that blows everything around and don't collect the water for the first hour or so (which will have all of the pollution). After that starting time I think it'd be pretty safe for fish if you mix it and don't just use only that water source.

7. I would never do this because you probably never get the ph or the correct needs of the water and the fish. It will always be an ongoing battle with this specific issue.

8. 6 weeks ago

Rainwater might be a good idea, mainly cause city water can be strange and so can well water. in other words, the minerals etc. found in it could be harmful to fish. Nonetheless, as someone here suggested, rainwater can be just as bad. I guess you simply have to do a check up on your water supply and also the local rainwater.

Anyhow, water can be filtered. Has anyone tried to filter the water, whatever the source, before putting in a tank?

or Sign Up to reply!